Docker is an open-source engine that automates the deployment of any application as a lightweight, portable, self-sufficient container that will run virtually anywhere.
Docker containers can encapsulate any payload, and will run consistently on and between virtually any server. The same container that a developer builds and tests on a laptop will run at scale, in production*, on VMs, bare-metal servers, OpenStack clusters, public instances, or combinations of the above.
Common use cases for Docker include:
- Automating the packaging and deployment of applications
- Creation of lightweight, private PAAS environments
- Automated testing and continuous integration/deployment
- Deploying and scaling web apps, databases and backend services
* Please note Docker is currently under heavy developement. It should not be used in production (yet).